Thursday, April 7, 2011

WAITING FOR THE SNOW TO FALL: FIRST NATIONS, FEDERAL POLICY, AND ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE by Brennan R. Lagasse

I really enjoyed this reading. 
It brought up some good points and question that I really could relate to.
I'm born and raised in Norway, where people are known to be born with skis on their feet.
The house that I grew up in lay 300 feet away from a local ski resort, so when I was younger I could ski in and out from my backyard. Since then I have been traveling to different ski resort all over the world and questions like; "I wondered how ski resorts began in the first place and what preceded them?" (p.2) has often appeared in my mind. And i can relate to thoughts like; "My consciousness has evolved to question how the ski industry can operate in a sustainable manner by being healthy and just on a community level and an ecological 
level."(p.2)

The reading gave me some good insight and answers to how some ski resort choose to operate. It's sad to see how some ski resorts like Arizona Snowbowl uses loop holes and powerful corporations to abuse nature and the sacred places of  thirteen Native American tribes. And I hope we will see some changes being done in the ski resort business in the future, towards a more social just and environmental friendly future.

No comments:

Post a Comment