Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Buttonwillow; Resistance and Disillusion in Rural California.


Chapter four is another story about environmental racism. This one occurred in Buttonwillow, California, in the early 90's. As I mentioned in my last blog post, I think alot of the materials in these storys is repetition. Both Kettleman City and Chester had almost identical problems. Don't get me wrong, I think these stories are both fascinating and interesting to read about, but I'd would also like to read about social justice from other viewpoints as well.
But there were also some interesting comparisons of social justice between the American government and the Mexican government in this chapter. A phrase that really got stuck with me was Montoya's view on the U.S. government; "More than anything, I was disillusioned. Because I really believed  that the United States government was different than the Mexican government." "The only difference is that, in Mexico they do what they do outside the law. And in the U.S. they want to make the laws legitimate what they do. In other words, they want to make things appear legal."
Would you prefer living in a country where the government was open about corruption, or would you choose a country which concealed it with laws?

No comments:

Post a Comment